Monday, March 23, 2020

Job's Priesthood and God's Greater Purpose

Lesson ten in the Job series.

Did you notice that somewhere during the course of God's speeches, the three friends must have been converted? They must have seen the great compassion God had for Job when he stormed on the stage to deliver Job from the abuses of Elihu.They must have noticed that God had been listening to Job all along. They must have seen how comforted Job was when God answered his prayers. Ponder this for a moment: There is Job--still sitting in dust and ashes, still covered with painful boils and maggots, poor as a church mouse, and all his family are dead. And his friends look at him and they think, "I want what he has!"

What does Job have? He has a God who loves him and hears his cries and pleads his cause and judges his enemies, and now his friends want in on it too no matter what it costs them! They would be willing to trade places with Job to have a God like that. God's plan all along was to convert these kings so they could take the gospel back to their homelands. God is willing make an innocent person suffer unjustly so that others can be saved. It's outrageous! It's scandalous! And it is the Gospel. God did the same to his own Son so that all of us could be saved. And we are all the beneficiaries of God's great compassion and covenantal faithfulness. 

Job obeys God and prays for his three friends and makes sacrifices for them. He has a newly defined role and because he was faithful in little he is given greater responsibility. He has a story to tell the world and he will write it down and pass it on so that anyone who needs comfort can find it in Job.

A lot of people wonder why Elihu is never mentioned again. This is also part of God's judgment. No sacrifice could be made for one who refuses to hear the wisdom and counsel of God. Look at these verses from Proverbs 1:20-33

Wisdom cries aloud in the street,
in the markets she raises her voice;
at the head of the noisy streets she cries out;
at the entrance of the city gates she speaks:
"How long O simple one, will you love being simple?
How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing
and fools hate knowledge?
If you turn at my reproof,
behold, I will pour out my spirit to you;
I will make my words known to you.
Because I have called and you refused to listen,
have stretched out my hand and no one has heeded,
because you have ignored all my counsel
and would have none of my reproof,
I also will laugh at your calamity;
I will mock when terror strikes you,
when terror strikes you like a storm,
and your calamity comes like a whirlwind,
when distress and anguish come upon you. 
Then they will call on me, but I will not answer;
they will seek me diligently but will not find me.
Because they hated knowledge
and did not choose the fear of the Lord,
would have none of my counsel
and despised all my reproof,
therefore they shall eat the fruit of their own way,
and have their fill of the their own devices.
For the simple are killed by their turning away,
and the complacency of fools destroys them;
but whoever listens to me will dwell secure
and will be at ease, without dread of disaster. 

Psalm 50:16-17 plainly says, "But to the wicked God says, "What right have you to recited my statutes or take my covenant on your lips? For you hate discipline and you cast my words behind you." 

Elihu's fate is the fate of all the wicked who abuse God's people.

Conclusion

You will have to suffer unjustly sometime. Peter tells us we are called to do that. When that happens, God will be enough for you. His grace will be sufficient. You will find God to be your Advocate and Shield and Defender and Rock. You will remember Job and sing the songs of David. More importantly, you will remember the cross. Then you will pick up your own cross and follow Jesus into his death so you can be raised up with him in the resurrection. And who knows? God may make you a source of comfort to others who are suffering.

And now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment